Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is your mailing address?
    Our mailing address is P. O. Box 131, Markleeville, CA 96120
  • What do I do if I’m a new property owner in the MWC service area?
    Membership in the Markleeville Water Company is appurtenent to your lot/property, but you do need to contact us to set up your account. Call Joanne Oehlerking, our Secretary/Treasurer at 530-694-2924 or email her at
  • Can I make my payment online or do I need to mail it in?
    At this time, payments must be mailed to our P. O. Box since the postmark is used in order to track payment timeliness.  Please note your service address or account number on your check.
  • I lost my bill. Who do I contact if I need to know my balance owed?
    Contact our Secretary/Treasurer, Joanne Oehlerking at 530-694-2924, or by email at
  • Can I make arrangements to pay several months in advance?
    Yes, you can.  Mail your check, noting the quarter(s) being paid, to the mailing address noted above.
  • What do I do if I need to make payment arrangements during the Covid-19 pandemic?
  • If you are under financial hardship due to the pandemic, please contact our Secretary/Treasurer, Joanne Oehlerking at 530-694-2924, or by email at It should be noted that Markleeville Water Company is considered a critical infrastructure utility and as such needs income in order to continue to operate and supply clean, potable water to our corporation members.
  • Who do I contact if I have a water emergency?
    Contact Kris Hartnett at 530-694-1879.  Please only contact Kris for specific water-distribution system issues. For general questions, please email us at
  • Who do I contact if I have questions about water quality?
    Contact our Licensed System Operator, Buck McLelland, at 530-318-7411.
  • What are the responsibilities of a property owner as it relates to MWC equipment?
    MWC must be notified of any problems or concerns. Only an MWC agent should access MWC equipment, including, but not limited to, curb stops and meters. Issues caused by the property owner not following this procedure are the sole responsibility of the property owner.
  • Does the Markleeville Water Company add fluoride to the water?
    No we do not.
  • What does “landscape watering,” in MWC’s Water Use Rules and Guidelines, mean? Is that just for sprinklers on timers and such?
    Landscape watering refers to all watering, whether on timers or not and whether by sprinkler, hose or any other device. It includes individual plants, flowers or vegetable gardens. However we don’t have a water police force and we understand that sometimes things happen. Please be conscientious in those instances.
%d bloggers like this: